Sunday, September 26, 2010

My favorite time of year!

It's Fall and the colors in New England are already changing. It has always been a dream of mine to be in New England to soak in the Autumn colors. And now my dream is coming true as a current resident of this place.

I took these leafy pictures at Walden Pond yesterday. My Walden has come to symbolize freedom and a retreat from the demands of a busy teacher/student schedule. (If anyone would like to donate to my business casual cause, my wardrobe is lacking in the most essential and basic items - I own tons of jeans and t-shirts). I've been at least a dozen of times to this hallowed spot of ground and skinny dipped a time or two as well. Oh to commune with nature and seize the day!

And a favorite from The Razor's Edge by Somerset Maugham-
"It was one man who invented the wheel. It was one man who discovered the law of gravitation. Nothing that happens is without effect. If you throw a stone in a pond the universe isn't quite the same as it was before. It's a mistake to think that those holy men of India lead useless lives. They are a shining light in the darkness. They represent an ideal that is a refreshment to their fellows; the common run may never attain it, but they respect it and it affects their lives for good. When a man becomes pure and perfect the influence of his character spreads so that they who seek truth are naturally drawn to him. It may be that if I lead the life I've planned for myself it may affect others; the effect may be no greater than the ripple caused by a stone thrown in a pond, but one ripple causes another, and that one a third; it's just possible that a few people will see that my way of life offers happiness and peace, and that they in their turn will teach what they have learnt to others."



3 comments:

  1. Dear Tin Tin,
    The photos are fabulous. I have to come and see for myself with my favorite Walden enthusiast. The Maughm quote is perfect. I don't know how many times I've used the phrase, "like a pebble in a pool" to describe the small things that make big differences, but they are legion(in fact, this is one of those). What a cool way to begin the sabbath. "You made my day!"
    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kris, I love your photos. I think you should change the background photo to one of the ones you took of the house and mountains on Maple Lane when you were there last fall.

    ReplyDelete